Thursday, November 8, 2007

WRITERS STRIKE

As someone who believes that the writers currently on strike should be fairly compensated for their work (not to mention the fact that I will sorely miss my favorite scripted shows if the strike goes on too long), I'm posting this blog entry from a blogger named Teresa. It offers an idea of what ordinary people can do to make their voices heard to The Powers That Be.
*****************************
FROM TERESA:

1) I'd like to think that I work in an industry where writers get the respect they deserve. Very often, Hollywood will be really deferential to actors, directors, and producers, but treat the writers like the red-headed stepchildren. It's really inexcusable, considering that without the writers, the entertainment industry would be far less entertaining. They're not asking for anything unreasonable, and they should not be denied the opportunity to earn a living in this industry that's already making other people so much money.

and

2) I WANT TO BE ABLE TO WATCH "LOST" IN FEBRUARY! As many of you know, I'm a big fan. If the AMPTP doesn't cut the shenanigans, give the writers what they deserve, and end the strike in time for episodes to be written for the long-awaited fourth season, I'm going to go to L.A. and punch every producer in the face. Smile (I'm sure many people reading this have a show they feel this way about!)

Some of you are members of one union or another. Some of you, like me, are artsy-types who are not members of a union yet, but hope to be someday. All of you watch TV and go to movies. I read that the WGA was welcoming non-union supporters to picket with them. While I don't have time for that, I thought I would send a letter to the AMPTP expressing my support for the writers as a viewer. Thought I'd get other interested parties to do the same.

If the spirit moves you, and you'd like to extend your support, you can contact the AMPTP here:
http://www.amptp.org/contactus.html

You can either send an e-mail via their online form (quick and easy!), send a letter to the mailing address on the page to the attn of AMPTP president, Nick Counter (nothing has the knives-out poetry of angry letters stacked on a desk!), or call the phone number on the page and leave a polite message with Nick Counter's assistant (depending on how concerned you are about the whole thing). It doesn't have to be long. It can be something like this:

Dear Mr. Counter,

I am a television viewer and movie-goer. It is the job of your organization to make and keep me happy so that I continue to go out and buy things, thereby keeping your advertisers happy and those in your industry gainfully employed (and also happy). What would make me happiest at the moment would be if you treat the WGA fairly and give the writers what they want and deserve to successfully end this strike. The entertainment industry needs its writers. It also needs its audience. The longer we have to sit through re-runs, the less likely we'll be to keep coming back - especially when we have On Demand cable and Netflix and YouTube to keep us warm. I'm writing this note, as one of the many viewers you are trying to court, to express my support for the writers. Thank you.

Sincerely,
(your name here)

Or something like that. In fact, feel free to steal that and alter it for your own purposes. Smile Feel free to forward this e-mail to anyone you think might be interested, too, as there is power in numbers. Post the links I've included in your blogs, on your networking sites, or on any relevant message boards you visit. I would love the writers to know that it isn't just fellow union members who support what they do, but the average viewers across the country who enjoy the stories they tell, and want to keep them coming. Thank you!

No comments: