Thursday, May 1, 2008

SHE'S ONLY JUST BEGUN

Unfortunately, last night was the end of the road for "American Idol" contestant Brooke White. It came as a bit of a surprise since it was the first time in a few weeks that Brooke seemed totally relaxed and just enjoying herself. Regardless, I hope the future holds great things for her since she is a very talented singer, songwriter and musician.

On Ebay, I recently found the independent album Brooke put out a few years ago called "Songs from the Attic." I was impressed by her writing and singing skills even at that early stage of her career (the songs "Free" and "Change" are particularly outstanding both musically and lyrically). Now with several more years experience under her belt and a host of new topics to write about, the future should be a creative goldmine for this up-and-comer.

If I had to add one critique about Brooke, it's that she appears to sell herself short. This comment she made about her voice in Entertainment Weekly's exit interview jumped out at me: "This little raspy thing I have has taken me years to accept. Some days I wish I could belt out notes."

If you listen to the Itunes download of "You Must Love Me," you will definitely discover that Brooke can be a belter of notes too. That may not be her natural comfort zone, but I think Brooke has grown as an artist over the last few months and can definitely step out of her comfort zone successfully whenever she wants. Plus, she makes every performance completely believable because she puts all her heart into it.

So here's to Brooke White for making this one of my favorite Idol seasons in a while. Her career has only just begun.

And for a blast from Brooke's past, check out her music video for the song "Free" here.

TonyRossiBlogger@gmail.com

No comments: